As much as I'm enjoying cooler nights and humidity-free days of September, these mild changes in weather signal the approach of fall and winter—in other words, months of cold and dry. Just as you pack away your summer dresses and pull out those sweaters and coats, your beauty routine needs a reboot, as well.
Keep your skin looking (and feeling) beautiful in the face of seasonal climate change with Fresh Faced's fall skin-care tips:
1. Two words: gentle cleansing. Consider switching to a cream-based cleanser, which contain higher concentrations of oils, water, and emollients. I like Pai Camellia and Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser or Suki Moisture-Rich Cleaning Lotion. Or try an oil-based scrub, such as Pai Kukui & Jojoba Bead Skin Brightening Exfoliator, to reap the benefit of exfoliation with the bonus of feeding your skin with hydrating oils.
2. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. The best time to feed your skin is directly after cleansing, as soon as you step out of the shower or bath. It helps seal in whatever moisture your face has already absorbed. I'm a huge fan of facial oils and serums, which can help calm the skin and regulate oil production. Oils can be used to supplement your daily moisturizer or on their own, no matter your skin type.
3. Be aware of changes. If you've been prone to oily skin all summer, you might notice it evening out as the temperature drops. And if your normal summer complexion becomes dry, adjust your go-to products accordingly.
4. Remain diligent about sunscreen. Sun protection is essential year-round. This one's not negotiable.
5. Give your hands some extra love. All that handwashing may be good for your health, but it sure takes a toll on your skin, especially as the air begins to lose humidity in the fall. Keep your favourite hand cream handy—even consider tossing one into your bag for on-the-go treatment. I am seriously into Revolution Organics All-Over Body Balm for just this reason (I have them stashed all over the place: in the car, by the kitchen sink, on my desk, etc.).
6. Protect your lips. Find a non-petroeum-based lip balm and start moisturizing early to prevent dry and chapped lips. My absolute favourite is Pai Bergamot Lip Balm, but all of Fresh Faced's lip treatments are lovely, effective, and petroleum-free.